Bringing back photos of Kartini School because today (April 21) is her day!
Kartini School is a female-only school established by the Van Deventer Foundation based on Raden Ajeng Kartini’s wish. The first school was opened in Semarang, 1912.
Conrad Theodore van Deventer (1847 - 1915) was one of the major Ethical Policy (politik etis) figures. In 1899, he wrote for De Gids magazine that the Netherlands owed their prosperity to the colonies, so it would be reasonable for the Netherlands to give back in return of what they got from the colonies, which majorly included Dutch East Indies.
When Kartini’s letters were published as a book in 1911, he was moved by it that he supported the idea of a female school to empower women.Started from Semarang, Kartini schools started operating in several other regions such as Surabaya, Yogyakarta, Malang, Madiun, and Cirebon.
The pictures you see above are scenes from Kartini School of Bogor (then Buitenzorg), which opened on July 22, 1918.
- The students with their teachers, Miss Avelingh and Mrs. Goes, 1920.
- The opening of Kartini School, May 2, 1915. The address is noted to be Panaragan St. 19, Bogor.
- Girls playing at the school yard, 1920.
- First-year students in a class, 1920. They are seemed to be taught Dutch.
- Group portraits of the students, 1920.
- Teachers of the school, 1920 - 1930.
- First year students, ca. 1920.
- Miss Avelingh and the primary students, ca. 1920 - 1930.
- Mrs. Van Ameron with the 7th grade teachers and students, ca. 1920.
- The (new?) school building—-opened in 1918, but the photograph is dated 1920.
New students posing before the dormitory door, 1920 - 1930, Bogor Kartini School.